Recruit Me Monday - The NCAA Eligibility Center

For the high school athlete looking to play at the collegiate level, the recruiting process can be one of the most exciting times of their life. It can also become one of the most confusing and difficult processes for parents and players if they are unaware and unprepared for everything the process entails. Every Monday we will be posting a news story with information covering the recruiting process and what to expect and prepare for. We will cover the following areas: Eligibility/Academics, Important dates for prospects and college coaches, D1 scholarships, Financial Aide outside of athletic scholarships, communications with college coaches, and college visits.


The NCAA Eligibility Center
(Formerly known as the Clearinghouse)

Before a student athlete can be eligible to participate in Division 1 or 2 (referred to as D1, D2) athletics, they must first register with the Eligibility Center (formerly known as the Clearinghouse). To visit their website and get the process started, CLICK HERE. They will then analyze your academic and amateur credentials to determine your initial eligibility. Let’s take a closer look at some of the basics regarding the eligibility center.

- It is recommended by the NCAA that you register with the Eligibility Center sometime during your sophomore year. Basically, this is setting up your account for future use, and just getting the ball rolling. As you progress through high school, you will have to submit test scores, official transcripts, and answer questions regarding your amateur status to link up with the account.

- We recommend that once you set your account up, have your school counselor submit an official transcript to the Eligibility Center following your junior year of high school. It is very important to work closely with your high school counselor throughout this process.

- Anytime you take the ACT or SAT you can use the Eligibility Center code “9999” as one of the score recipients. This will make sure that your official scores will make it to the Eligibility Center.

- After April 1st of your senior year, you must finalize your amateurism responses through the Eligibility Center and request your final amateurism certification.

- Once you graduate high school, make sure to have your counselor send an official transcript to the Eligibility Center along with proof of graduation.

- To receive your final certification, a player must be on the an NCAA D1 or D2 request list- this means you are being recruited by, or have committed to an NCAA D1 or D2 school.

- If you start out at a 2-year school straight out of high school, you will not need to go through the Eligibility Center. However, if you plan on attending a D1 or D2 school later down the road, it is a good idea to go through the process now.

- D3 athletes are not required to go through the Eligibility Center.

<< Back to news list